Descendants of Wilhelm Otto
Generation No. 1
1. WILHELM1 OTTO was born 1843 in Podolia, Russia (see note)1, and died March 03, 1908 in Chicago, IL2. He married CAROLINA SPITZER December 29, 1864 in Kiev Parish, Russia3, daughter of ANDREAS SPITZER and ANNA SCHMIDT. She was born October 1846 in Faustindorf, Volhynia, Russia3,4, and died December 03, 1943 in Pryor, Mayes Co, OK5.
Notes for WILHELM OTTO:
The Immigration of the Wilhelm Otto Family in 1884
Caroline Spitzer and Wilhelm Otto were my maternal great-grandparents, and this is the story that has been passed down in our family. My grandfather Hermann Otto (their third child) said that his father was practicing law, and in the spring of 1884, he was defending a Jewish man who was being sued by a Russian. When he won the case, he was informed by the local officials that he must leave by nightfall. He tied a little money around his waist, packed up his family (they had five children at home then), and they all went to Torun, Poland, where they spent the summer. Their daughter Regina was already married to a Russian named Jacob Spiegel, had one son, and was living in Kiev, and she stayed behind in Russia. Wilhelm had heard of the state of Texas, and he thought that would be a good place to live.
The Otto family sailed from Hamburg on the Polaria on September 7, 1884, and arrived in New York on September 25. After being processed at the immigration station at Castle Garden, they were approached by an agent of the Lincoln Land Company of Lincoln County, Kentucky. He persuaded them to go to Kentucky to buy land, instead of Texas, and that's how they ended up in Ottenheim, Kentucky. That may be the reason the Spitzers went there in 1892.
This story is from Ruth Lyons (LYONSPCRA@aol.com)
More About WILHELM OTTO:
Immigration: September 25, 1884, Polaria to NYC from Hamburg
Children of WILHELM OTTO and CAROLINA SPITZER are:
i. REGINA2 OTTO, b. October 23, 1866, Zhitomir, Volhynia, Russia6; m. JACOB SPIEGEL, Abt. 1881, Russia7.
ii. DAVID ANDREAS OTTO, b. March 20, 1870, Slabutke, Volhynia, Russia8; d. May 03, 1936, Louisville, KY9; m. (1) MARY BRANDHORST, Abt. 18959; b. Aft. 18709; m. (2) ELIZABETH BRANDHORST, Abt. 19159; b. 9.
More About DAVID ANDREAS OTTO:
Children: No children9
iii. HERMAN OTTO, b. April 17, 1872, Horoshek, Volhynia, Russia9; d. August 27, 1966, Georgetown, Brown Co., Ohio9; m. (1) MARY WORTMANN; b. Abt. 19009; m. (2) MARGARETHE GUENTHER; b. March 19069.
More About MARY WORTMANN:
Children: Three children9
More About MARGARETHE GUENTHER:
Children: Four children9
iv. MARIA MAGDELENE OTTO9, b. May 21, 1877, Solodri, Volhynia, Russia10; d. 1956, Pasco, Franklin Co, WA11; m. (1) WASHINGTON PERRY HUNT; m. (2) WILLIAM SCHUMANN; b. Abt. 189611.
More About WASHINGTON PERRY HUNT:
Children: Two children11
More About WILLIAM SCHUMANN:
Children: one child11
v. MAGDALENA OTTO, b. December 13, 1883, Wolodarsk, Volhynia, Russia12; d. September 19, 1958, Seynour, Webster Co, MO13; m. WALTER MILO ESTABROOK, February 15, 1911, Great Bend, Barton Co, KS13; b. Bef. 1883.
More About MAGDALENA OTTO:
Children: Three children13
vi. JULIUS OTTO, b. October 24, 1889, Ottenheim, KY14,15; d. June 08, 1969, Joplin, MO15.
More About JULIUS OTTO:
Marrried: Never married15
1. St Pete 1884123/2 412 22.
2. Ruth Lyon's Family Tree (email@example.com).
3. St Pete 1884123/2 412 22.
4. 1900 census for crab creek, ky on lds 1240539.
5. Ruth Lyon's Family Tree (firstname.lastname@example.org).
6. st pete 1884090/2 518 308.
7. Ruth Lyon's Family Tree (email@example.com).
8. St Pete 1884113/1 190 278.
9. Ruth Lyon's Family Tree (firstname.lastname@example.org).
10. St Pete 1895625/1 805 298.
11. Ruth Lyon's Family Tree (email@example.com).
12. St Pete 1895615/1 847 778.
13. Ruth Lyon's Family Tree (firstname.lastname@example.org).
14. Churchbook for Ottenheim, KY.
15. Ruth Lyon's Family Tree (email@example.com).