Kossin (Cossin), Kreis Pyritz, Pommern
Kossin (Cossin) is a village that was formerly a manorial farm. This village is the birthplace of Johanne Wilhelmine Remus on 05 Mar 1817, daughter of Friedrich and Marie Remus.
The Dukes of Pommern created this estate in the 13th century (see below). There are good pictures following of the manorial farm barns but the manor house is not to be found.
It had 15th century church which was initially Catholic, became Lutheran in the 16th century, and returned to being a Catholic Church following the Second World War. The structure of the building had major repairs in the 19th century and appears to have some post war renovations.
The Dukes of Pommern created such estates in the 13th century. Some estates remained the property of the Dukes (royal villages), some were granted to the nobility (largely German and Slavic Knights) that supported the Duke (noble villages), and some were granted to the church. The church held villages might contain a monastery or might be a manorial farm controlled by a church official like a bishop whose management was contracted out.
In the 15th century, the village owners throughout Kreis Pyritz seemed to compete with each other in building beautiful Pommern style churches for their manorial farms. They largely controlled the church, its records and the clergy for the church. Around 1820, the Prussian government required the churches to keep duplicate church books and provide them to the Prussian government. These are the church books they Mormons have microfilmed. In the late 1870ís civil records were also required and many are also available from the Mormons.
Click here to go to other villages.
Please send any queries to Bill Remus at
August 5, 2010