Nowe (Neuenberg), Kreis Schwetz, West Prussia
Nowe (Neuenberg), Kreis Schwetz is a walled village dating back to 1309 and a fortress for theTeutonic Knights dating back to 1350. The "new" in both the German and Polish names for this village reflects the new 1350 castle. Here is a view of the fortress and wall:
Here is a view of the market plaza of the village:
And the Roman Catholic church.
The Lutheran Church started in 1794 in the remnant of the Teutonic Knights fortress shown here (it is now the town library).
The abandoned Lutheran Church is shown here:
Here is a map of the location of this town:
The Remus family lived in the area and many of the family events occurred in these churches.
Click here to go to other West Prussia Villages.
Please send any queries to Bill Remus at
September 12, 2010